Monday, March 29, 2010

One Step Forward.. Two Steps Back...

It's hard. It's never easy.. but some days are really Hard.
Not really at home, or socially, because we've learned as a family to adapt.

But it's the school environment that is so hard. I guess in part because we have no control over the situation or because our expectations are so high.

Regardless, it's hard. - no soap box standing today.. just letting you know how I feel.

Today I'm meeting with the principal to talk about 2nd grade. I want him to know that I would like to be part of the choosing of the second grade teacher.

Our kindergarten teacher was a dream.. she adapted her classroom for Michael.. even taught all of the children sign language so they could talk with Michael. I nominated her for teacher of the year- and I ASSUMED that all teachers were like her.

Then first grade.. the opposite. I'm not saying that our first grade teacher is bad. I've seen her teach... I know she can be funny and can engage the children.

So maybe it's his computer, or maybe it's the fact that she's never encountered someone that can't talk, but WANTS to be involved.. wants to learn. (I rant about autism all the time I know- but that's the MAJOR difference between Michael's APRAXIA and AUTISM. He wants to learn, he wants to be a part of a group. He feeds off of his peers.)

We fought to keep him in a regular classroom at the beginning of the year. This teacher only wanted him in her classroom for 30 minutes a day. We fought and won .. more time in a regular classroom so Michael could learn from his 'normal' peers.. but still, she removes michael from the other kids... I modify his homework weekly, only after I ask for her to send it home..... and the list goes on.

We've fought for nine months to give our child the type of education his twin is getting. We've had monthly meetings, have created books and manuals, anything and everything we could think of.. and still- resistance.

So today- I'm looking forward.. I'm going into that office today and demanding... demanding to either be a part of the 'teacher picking' process or be allowed to change right away if I don't like what I see.

Because honestly, I don't think I can take another year of my child not being taught.

Wish me luck - meeting is at 11:30 today.

Christine-

No comments:

Post a Comment