Sunday, February 28, 2010

We Lost Michael Once...

Only for about 3 minutes... It was Cam's 10th birthday week, there was a group of us (20 or so) at the AB tour downtown.. we were waiting for our turn to go- and I looked around, no Michael.. not by the truck or the plane... not with Brad or his sissy..
I looked up at Kathrine and she knew.. that panicked look- I felt my stomach in my throat but I didn't know what to do. He was always right next to me, unless something shiny caught his eye. So she told Tom (her husband) and he made a b-line for the front door- the only way out (did I mention that Tom is smart?) and Brad and the rest of us starting walking around, searching for this 5 year old.
He hadn't gone far.. Tom did end up finding him close to the door- but we don't think he was heading out.

But there lies my biggest fear- what do you do when you've lost a non verbal child? A child that looks perfectly normal... and if you didn't know him, you wouldn't know why he's not talking..

So in less than two weeks we're venturing out to Disney World. I'm so excited.. we all are. (Thrilled really) But Disney will be the largest place we've ever gone. Michael isn't as clingy to me as he used to be. Good and Bad. Good, cause whew.. I needed a break, and Bad.. cause he's never met a stranger- he'll go up to anyone- he has no fear.

When we went to Sea World I bought him a tag to wear- It's a tag that he can wear on his belt loop, on his pants or even on his shoe laces. It says his name and it lets anyone know that he's non verbal, and it gives both mine and brad's phone number.

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/dog-tags-personalized.html

I'm just wondering.. is there anything else I can do? I am going to contact the main gate, guest relations, when we're actually in the park. To give them a photo and description of Michael- just in case...

I'm sure I'm overreacting.. But I'm a worrier.. I'd just assume strap Michael to my back and tow him wherever we need to go. But I don't think I can do this for 9 days in Orlando..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment