Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Ah-Ha Moment

Another great therapy session today.. Julie wants to add time to Michael's therapy on Tuesday's. She feels that he can handle more than 30 minutes with her now, and that doesn't include getting to jump in the "Ballpit" at the end of his session. (It's his reward- if he works hard, he gets 5 minutes jumping around in the ball pit)

Julie said something today that kinda shocked me. Not in a bad way, but in a way that made me step back and say 'you know what.. you're right... that's pretty cool'

Michael was showing Julie pages on his computer, and he was jumping between six/seven different screens* to tell him about his day, or what he wanted to work on next.
My ah-ha moment was when she said this- "Don't you think it's strange that he can manipulate these screens and go so quickly to where he wants to talk at this age, considering his process delay/apraxia?"

HUH?

She said she's never seen anyone at this age flip through his computer to talk, or to play a game of go fish.(his favorite game)

WOW... It took the ride home to absorb this.. and it was so ironic because Brad and I have battled the school with this fact.. at home, he can tell me within 10 seconds and four screens that he wants "orange juice and oatmeal" for breakfast. But the school said he wasn't using it in a meaningful way at school.

So it was nice to hear someone else mimic what we have thought all along- Actually, it was overwhelming to hear that Michael is doing GREAT with his communication!!!

What a cool day!

*screens- Michael has a 'laptop' (Alternative Communication Device) that holds screens/folders/pop ups. Basically, there's a main page, and from that main page are sub folders, and within those sub folders there are pictures, places, people. From the main page (1) he can go to the 'me and my needs page (2) and then to breakfast (3) and then to drink (4) and he has a variety of choices he can make(5).. if you're still with me.. when he makes his choice.. it says.. I want x . or can I have x to drink. ... this device not only speaks for Michael, it gives him the opportunity to express his wants and needs...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found me!! My email is brooklynnaustin@windstream.net, and ill add you to my favorites. You really look a loving and sweet mom and michael is precious.

    ReplyDelete