Monday, May 7, 2012

A mother's tea.... Free of anxiety

On Friday, I went to Michaels third grade classroom to have 'Mother's Day Tea'. All the mom's were there and we all watched as our kids put on several presentations for us. To be honest, things like this make me very anxious.... I get nervous, I spend so much time worrying about Michael and how he acts compared to the other kids that I rarely enjoy myself. It's certainly not something I'm proud to admit...but that goes with the territory of having a special needs child. As much as you try to put perception aside... You do still worry about how other people react to a child that acts different than their own. Friday was different. I sat there and listened to the poem that was on Michael's computer. I looked at him as he waved to me and was so proud of him and proud of how well he stood in line and was patient for his turn to present his line to the class. He drew a picture of me and I was suppose to guess it, but Michael was so proud of his picture that before it was my turn to guess... He raised his hand and pointed to me to let me know that it was his picture the teacher was holding. It was sweet. It was nice and everyone in the class embraced Michael the way I've always wanted them to. So it was a great day. I'm so thankful to the people in Michael's life that treats him like a 9 year old. And embraces him for the amazing kid he is. So proud of you little monkey!! Side story: we were at dinner last week and Michael was drawing on his paper the waiter gave him... He grabbed my arm and pointed to Jacob. I looked at jacob and then looked at Michael..... I didn't see anything. "what buddy??". And without hesitation, Michael pointed to his paper and smiled and then pointed back to his brother. On the paper in from of him read "j a c o b" How cool is that?? Everyday I'm amazed at how far we've come. This has been a great year for Michael!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear how well he is doing!! Have a good wk:)

    ReplyDelete